cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vManage unable to talk to devices after poweron

bmcgahan
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running vManage 20.9.4.1 in EVE-NG, and every time I power-on my virtual topology, the vManage doesn't work after it boots.

DTLS tunnels do form from vManage to the vSmart/vBond and Edge Routers, but vManage can't actually send any commands to them. The attached error is what I get when I try to view the Running Config from vManage of any device. It looks like it can't connect via NETCONF

vmanage.device.data.error.png

I've tried clearing the control-connections, restarting the nms services on the vManage, but the only thing that works is a reload.

I don't understand why a reboot is needed, vs. vManage just powering on in the first place. Has anyone seen this issue before, and is there any workaround other than a reload?

TIA!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i run same setup - i do not see any issue,

my boot order vbond and vsmart- then vmanage.

what device IP you showing error on screenshot ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Cedge# show control local-properties

Check the serial number of cedge before and after power-on/off

Also check cert. Validate

MHM

Good idea, but I checked and the chassis/serial numbers stay the same between booting the instances, and the certificates are valid.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i run same setup - i do not see any issue,

my boot order vbond and vsmart- then vmanage.

what device IP you showing error on screenshot ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

In the screenshot above, that IP is the vSmart, but I get the same error if I try to send commands to any of the Edge Routers as well. What's strange is that the vManage shows 100% health to all devices:

vmanage.full.health.png

show control connections looks good from the vManage also:

vmanage.show.control.connections.png

From vManage if I goto Configuration > Devices , then click the 3 dots on the right of any device and choose Running Configuration it hangs for a minute then returns this:

Device data error
jave.io.IOException: Unable to connect to vmanage-admin@172.17.1.1:830

the error is different than your original post? the IP is different 

MHM

It's for every IP in the PEER SYSTEM IP list in show control connections.

try this without adjust delay

Show sdwan peer <- in cedge

Do you see vbond connection OK 

MHM

I added a 60 second delay for vBond to boot, and 120 second delay for vManage. I think this sorted the problem out for now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you try clearing control connections on the others instead, i mean vSmart, vBond and cEgde?

HTH.

Yes, thanks, I tried that. The DTLS tunnels re-establish after a few seconds, but vManage still gets the same error when sending commands to any Device.  Also there are no errors in show control connections-history on any of the controllers or edges.