cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routers not aware of each other

Remi Pilon
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 cisco 2811 2-FE routers, i configured fe0/1 on both routers with different ip addresses and did no shut.

status is up but protocol is down. its like they are not aware of each other, speed and duplex is set to auto.

when plugged into my laptop the interface lights come on but when connected to each other no interface lights.

thanks for the help in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Remi Pilon 

When connecting two routers directly, it's essential to use the appropriate cable to establish a proper connection. A crossover cable is required in this scenario because both routers are similar devices, meaning they have the same functionalities. A crossover cable crosses the transmit and receive pairs, allowing the routers to communicate effectively. In contrast, a straight-through cable, typically used to connect devices with different functions (such as a router to a switch), will not achieve the desired connectivity between the routers. If you don't have a crossover cable readily available, you can create one manually if you have spare connectors and a crimping tool. So, you can create a custom crossover cable to facilitate the direct connection between the routers. 

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what kind of cable (cross over and straight ?)   - have you connected both the routers with laptop, both the side come up ?

this could be :

1. Cable issue

2. speed Mismatch

3. duplex issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have just configured speed 100 and duplex full on my interfaces, R1 Ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and R2 Ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0. and did no shut on both. now only the f light is turning on my cisco 2811 routers. I was just wondering why a cross over cable and a straight through cable can't do the same thing before I go out and buy one. I have a dozen straight through cables.

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

I would try:

1. chancing the cable

2. using a crossover cable

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hello all and thank you for the help, I have just configured speed 100 and duplex full on my interfaces, R1 Ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and R2 Ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0. and did no shut on both. now only the f light is turning on my cisco 2811 routers. I was just wondering why a cross over cable and a straight through cable can't do the same thing before I go out and buy one. I have a dozen straight through cables.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Remi Pilon 

Please give us IP and Mask of each interfaces. Ensure to use crossover cable.

Thanks.

Best regards

Hello all and thank you for the help, i have just configured speed 100 and duplex full on my interfaces, R1 ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and R2 ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0. and did no shut on both. now only the f light is turning on on my cisco 2811 routers. i was just wondering why a cross over cable and a straight through cable cant do the same thing before i go out and buy one. i have a dozen straight through cables.

@Remi Pilon 

When connecting two routers directly, it's essential to use the appropriate cable to establish a proper connection. A crossover cable is required in this scenario because both routers are similar devices, meaning they have the same functionalities. A crossover cable crosses the transmit and receive pairs, allowing the routers to communicate effectively. In contrast, a straight-through cable, typically used to connect devices with different functions (such as a router to a switch), will not achieve the desired connectivity between the routers. If you don't have a crossover cable readily available, you can create one manually if you have spare connectors and a crimping tool. So, you can create a custom crossover cable to facilitate the direct connection between the routers. 

Best regards

Remi Pilon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all and thank you for the help, i have just configured speed 100 and duplex full on my interfaces, R1 ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and R2 ip add 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0. and did no shut on both. now only the f light is turning on on my cisco 2811 routers. i was just wondering why a cross over cable and a straight through cable cant do the same thing before i go out and buy one. i have a dozen straight through cables.